Skip to content ↓
Greenback High School

Greenbank High School

01704 567591

Article of the month: Article 19 (protection from violence, abuse and neglect).  Governments must do all they can to ensure that children are protected from all forms of violence, abuse, neglect and bad treatment by their parents or anyone else who looks after them.


The Art Department offers a broad and inclusive curriculum aimed at ensuring all students gain a comprehensive grounding in the themes, concepts and disciplines present in contemporary and traditional Art, Craft and Design. Artwork is continually exhibited around the school and as such gives students the experience of having work displayed publically. 


The KS3 curriculum is aimed at ensuring all students are fully prepared for the challenges of the GCSE Fine Art endorsement. They will produce work that will include both 2D and 3D media, including drawing, painting, digital art and ceramics.  Students will have one lesson a week and will cover the following themes and disciplines:

Yr 7:

Key Skills and Techniques (an introduction to a range of fundamental techniques)

Portraiture (contemporary and traditional portraiture, observational drawing, collage, painting)

Yr 8:

Architecture (Architecture and buildings, drawing, pattern making, printing)

Cakes and Sweets (Pop Art, observational drawing, painting, 3D construction)


Fine Art is a popular subject choice at GCSE and encourages students to develop their own artwork independently. The Art Department follows the AQA Fine Art specification allowing students to produce a portfolio of work containing two extended pieces of coursework. Everything produced from the beginning of Year 9 is considered coursework and is worth 60% of the overall GCSE. The final externally set exam is worth the remaining 40%. Students will have five lessons in every two week cycle and will cover the following themes:

Natural vs Man Made (observational drawing, oil painting, watercolour painting, mixed media, printing, photography)

Microscopic (patterns, painting, design work, ceramics, artist research)

Portraits (observational drawing, painting, artist research0

Externally Set Task

While specific homeworks will be occasionally set, the majority of homework will be to complete work begun in class for a set deadline.

More Information


Mr G Jackson - Subject Leader for Art
Mrs N Robinson - Art Teacher
Miss C Parry - Art Teacher

Extra Information