Given the ever increasing importance attached to Modern Foreign Languages in today’s global society, at Greenbank we are very proud to be able to offer our students French and Spanish in Year 7 plus the opportunity for our able linguists to continue to study both languages in Year 8 and Latin in Year 9. Within the department, we aim to stimulate lasting student curiosity, interest and enjoyment in order to improve not only students’ literacy and language skills but also their inter-cultural understanding, thus preparing them for further study, leisure and the world of work in the future.
The four key skills of all Modern Foreign Language are Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing and our goal is to develop our students’ ability to use the Modern Foreign Language effectively for the purposes of practical communication in a variety of situations; translation, role-play, reading comprehension, listening comprehension and written composition to name but a few. Furthermore, students’ linguistic awareness is developed by ensuring regular opportunities for the application and/or adaptation of previously acquired patterns, structures and vocabulary in a variety of contexts.
We endeavour to promote positive attitudes to learning a foreign language and a sympathetic approach to other cultures and civilisations thus encouraging tolerance and combating insularity of attitude in order to contribute to improved international relationships, be they personal or professional. We feel it is important that all students are offered the opportunity to study at least two Modern Foreign Languages throughout their studies at Greenbank.
Year 7: All students in Year 7 study both French and Spanish in mixed ability groups. They study 3 lessons each per 2 week cycle. We ask that all students bring a pen and pencil to lesson and ideally, a French/ Spanish Collins dictionary for use in lessons. Homework is set every lesson.
Year 8: Students opt to study either French or Spanish at the end of Year 7 and are placed in sets based on their Year 7 MFL performance. Students study either French or Spanish 6 lessons each per 2 week cycle. Dual linguists are accommodated with an extra-curricular GCSE in Spanish. The course will be examined after 2 years in Year 9. We ask that all students bring a pen and pencil to lesson and ideally, a French/ Spanish Collins dictionary for use in lessons. Homework is set every lesson.
Year 9: Students study 5 lessons each per 2 week cycle. We ask that all students bring a pen and pencil to lesson and ideally, a French/ Spanish Collins dictionary for use in lessons. Homework is set every lesson.
The expectation of Greenbank students is to continue their studies of at least one Modern Foreign Language in Year 9.
KS4 FRENCH & SPANISH (Y9, Y10 & Y11)
- We offer our students Edexcel GCSE French & Spanish.
- This course is 100% terminal examination at the end of Year 11. All skills, Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing are worth 25%. Exam papers are tiered, Foundation or Higher, however all skills sat must be the same tier.
- The main areas of study covered are as follows:
- Identity and culture
- Local area, holiday and travel
- Future aspirations, study and work
- International and global dimension
- Homework is set every lesson.
- We offer our students Eduqas GCSE Latin
- This course is 100% terminal examination at the end of Year 11. There are three examination papers; Latin Language (50%), Latin Literature Sources (30%), Roman Civilisation (20%).
- Homework is set every lesson.
- Year 7 trip to Boulogne-sur-Mer.
- Year 9 Classics Trip to Liverpool University.
- Year 9-11 French trip to Lille visiting a French school and the Christmas market.
- Use of Foreign Language Assistant in French and Spanish in Key Stages 3 & 4.
- Weekly MFL clinic after school during exam periods.
- Spanish trip to Madrid.
- Spanish exchange to Valdepeñas.
- Pen pal letters to our partner schools in Valdepeñas, Spain and Lille , France
- Spanish Cultural Club.
Ms J Aughton – Director of Learning for Languages
Ms A Delaney – Spanish Teacher
Mrs D Hill - French Teacher/Primary Liaison Co-ordinator
Mrs K Campbell – French/Spanish Teacher
Mrs C Lynch – Spanish Teacher
Mrs L Moore – French/Spanish Teacher
Mrs K Robinson – Deputy Headteacher / French Teacher
Miss L Griffiths – French/Spanish Teacher
Mr J Jimenez Armas – Spanish Foreign Language Assistant
Miss P Jambet – French Foreign Language Assistant